Monday, September 3, 2018

Assignment 2: Animatic

My finished second assignment, the animatic.

 


(I nedded to upload the video to YouTube, since the file was apparently too big for blogger)



I think this animatic presents a general feel of the animation I want to deliver. Contrary to the storyboard, I left the animatic black and white, since this is just a rough sketch and I will probably change and add several shots during the animation process. But I do realize that this decision may have weakened the effect I want my animation to have later on, which is dependent on the colors present in the second half.
The moving backgrounds in the beginning were a mistake. They appeared after I tried to animate them for a different shot that I didn't include in the final animatic and I couldn't find a way to correct them anymore. Albeit I still think that they present a great effect and make the buildings more imposing by letting them sway and change size slightly. The part where the wall moves will have to be corrected though.
Futhermore, I still have some ideas on how to improve the animation/shots and the impact they (hopefully) make, but I have yet to implement some of these. My research for these changes will probably be included in one of the next blog posts.

Here are generally my ideas of what I want to implement in the future (a question mark generally refers to things I have yet to try and/or am still unsure about):
Art/Design
  • striking color aesthetic with washed out colors instead of a strict black and white color scheme in the first half (?)
  • thinner outlines
  • more expressive face and body language
  • high angle shots to represent powerlessness/weakness (beginning)
  • close-up when looking around the corner
  • extreme close-up when opening eyes in the other world; slow zoom-out
  • narrow passage
  • frame within a frame = location (e.g. doorways, windows, furnitures, props, actors)
  • beginning: lifeless/expressionless and dark eyes without light
  • beginning (style): old, greasy; old black and white movie (?)
  • fragment of the crack: colorful and sparkling/glowing

Animation
  • introduce Iris with a shot of her legs and how she walks (sluggish, slow)
  • convey character through small animation details (body language, eyebrow and eye movement)
  • tiny anxious glances; rapid eye ovement while turning head left and right
  • more desperate to justify the decision to go into the unknown
  • falling face-down/stumbling while running
  • cut from inhale to exhale; transition by having somebody/something move in front of Iris
  • more extreme facial expressions = squash and stretch
  • discovery scene where Iris sees more cracks, so that she knows where to run to!
  • other people are fading in and out (transparency) = makes it even more unreal
  • more energetic turn around in the end
  • secondary animation/action = something always has to be moving!
  • bouncy hair = squash and stretch
  • parallels between beginning and end with opposite actions (sad - happy) (?)
  • shot(s) looking up to the crack: expressionless shot of face; shot of crack; expressionless shot of face; realization; shock; shot of crack opening up further

Sound
  • beginning: muffled, chaotic, overwhelming
  • end: quieter

No comments:

Post a Comment