Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Sketches and Ideas #2

After looking at my animatic, I still found (and am still finding) areas that I am unsatisfied with or areas I think I could improve upon. 
My first focus are the expressions of my character, since her emotions are quite important for my animation and for telling my story. 


I started out by sketching out some eyes in different shapes and trying to convey different emotions through them. On the side are some notes with additions to the sketches and random ideas I had while working on them.



Another thing I tried was drawing some random expressions. In addition to that, I thought about changing the design of the character a little, especially the body shape. But I decided to leave everything as is in the end.


The next aspect I worked on is the actual design of the eyes. I wanted to make them more detailed for close ups, although I am still usure if I will be able to utilize the same quality for the animation (but I still want to try it regardless). Another thing I needed to work out was how to draw the eyes from different angles. In my opinion, after I had drawn the from view, 3/4 view or anything in between is not that difficult to draw. The problem arose with the side eye view. I needed to look at some references from series (some of which I casually watch in my free time) to get an idea of how to (more or less) accurately draw a side eye view. The most difficult part here was the placement of the pupil, but I found a solution for that. The result can be observed below.



Another redesign I tried out. I was thinking that my character should wear a scarf and use that to hide behind it instead of the high collar of her shirt. Further thoughts on this can be found as notes on the actual sketch below.





No comments:

Post a Comment