Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Sketches and Ideas #3

In order to further improve my animation, I decided to revise the second part of my animatic with the critique received through the second assessment.

"When she [the main characer] is sitting in the colour zone something will have to happen in there to sell it. Whether it is on her face looking around in wonder, or environmental animation the audience has to enjoy it too.



I decided to tackle this problem by gathering some more ideas on what my character could do in the "colour zone" (as it was so adequately named).
I started out with some rough ideas.


My main idea here was to give her and the audience more time to explore that new world they find themselves in now by letting the character run around a bit more. Furthermore, in order to sell that sense of wonder, the expression of the character has to fit and be adequately shown in e.g. close-ups.


These are a bit more detailed images than the one before. I was trying to map out and structure the ideas and background more clearly. I used some references to sketch the backgrounds, but I will probably go into more detail when I explain how I created the actual and finished backgrounds.
The last part of the animation where my character has been merely sitting around up until now should be supported by some environmental animation (e.g. passing clouds, fireflies, birds). I was debating whether or not I could manage a small timelapse, where the sun moves down, resulting in a sunset at the end. I rather quickly concluded that drawing images for an entire timelapse scene is rather extensive, which is why I have been thinking about starting the scene out during the day and directly cutting to (a well lit) night. If I find a way to make the cut organic enough, it will be able to show the passing of time without the time consuming action of having to draw multiple images, since especially the different light angles and colours etc. are a tricky thing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment